- 64 Ounce Camelbak Without the bladder
- 5 Snicker Marathon Bars (Thanks for the tip David Ray!)
- 6 Packs Gu Chomps (Asst. Flavors)
- 2 Cliff Block Shots
- 2 Gu Roctane Gels
- 3 Gatorade Mixing Packs (1 Gallon Worth)
- One bottle 5 Hr. Energy
- 4 Ginger Snap Little bites
- 1 Pack caffeinated Jelly Beans
- 40 Scaps
- Head Lamp
- Emergency Poncho
- Small Glide Roll on with Heat Fx
- 2 Sheets of Moleskin
Good things I did:
- I used a heavy coat of Glide on my feet and wore Drymax hiking socks ($10 from Zombierunner.com). Zero blisters or foot problems the entire run! This was amazing after having wet feet for at least seven hours.
- Brought the right amount of food - I brought 4,000 calories and ended up eating 3,600 for the day.
- Used two water bottles instead of my Camelbak bladder. The water is frequently available & this helped to cut down on the weight of my pack.
- Started off slow & ran with at least one other person the entire day.
- Got in the water & took a few rest breaks off of my feet.
What I will do different next year:
- Carry a small stick of Glide, not the stuff with heat fx in it! Try rubbing that in your chaffed areas at 20 miles!
- Purify all of the water that I drink. I plan on using a SteriPEN which is a device that kills bacteria in about 2 minutes so you can drink the water instantly and not have to wait 30 minutes. 95% of the water that I drank was not purified. I am very fortunate to not have gotten sick.
- Bring a wider variety of foods. I brought too many Gu block type foods and they were difficult to keep eating near the end. I will mix it up with different types of dense goodies. Protein gave me a nice long boost.
- Bring my camera.
- Leave the 2nd 5 Hr. Energy At Home. The 2nd one I drank did nothing for me.